How do you celebrate the first day of spring? How about with a delicious home-cooked meal that features vegetables and fruits of spring? We think Springtime Noodles with Peas and Carrots is just the dish for such a noteworthy day. The recipe starts with homemade noodles, like grandma used to make. But if that’s just too much to do on a busy day, replace the noodles with a package of wide pasta, such as fettuccine. What other vegetables and fruits do you think of when you think of spring? How about a side salad of spring greens, radishes, and strawberries? Just look at those beautiful, spring-like colors in the picture. What do you think, maybe this is the start of a new tradition?
- 1 recipe - Basic Homemade Noodles
- 1/2 medium - onion, diced
- 8 medium - carrots, sliced or diced
- 4 cups - Quick Chickpea Broth
- 1/2 tsp - dried thyme
- 1 Tbs - chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbs - cornstarch
- 1 cup - peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup - white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- Make the Basic Homemade Noodles up to the point of air drying before cooking. Start a large pot of water boiling.
- Make the Quick Chickpea Broth and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion and carrots in a little of the Quick Chickpea Broth. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes until carrots are slightly tender. Add the Quick Chickpea Broth, thyme, and parsley. Cover and continue to cook for another 10 minutes. Whisk in the arrowroot powder until no lumps remain, then stir in the peas. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking for another 5 minutes until the mixture thickens. Salt to taste.
- Carefully add the noodles to the pot of boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes until the noodles are firm. Gently remove the noodles from the boiling water and add to the carrots and peas mixture. Stir to coat the noodles and simmer another 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition (per serving): 528 calories, 76% calories from carbohydrates, 14% calories from protein, 8% calories from fat, 20.1g fiber.