Pineapple and Black Bean BBQs are easy to make – just four ingredients, no chopping, and only a saucepan as your cooking tool. The picture below shows 7 Sprouted Grain English Muffins from Food for Life Baking Company, which you can find in the freezer section of your grocery store, as the sandwich bun. It can be challenging to find oil-free barbeque sauces, but keep looking, they’re out there. Stubb’s is a brand we like, in particular, Stubb’s BBQ Sauce – Smokey Mesquite. As always, check the labels, since companies do change their recipes from time to time, and you never know if oil is now being added, when it wasn’t before. The size of the frozen pineapple chunks shown in the picture is right out of the bag. You can chop the pineapple into smaller chunks for smaller mouths.
- 2 15 oz cans - black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 16 oz pkg - cubed pineapple, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup - barbeque sauce (oil-free)
- 5 - whole-grain sandwich buns or English muffins
- Mash the black beans in a saucepan. Stir in the pineapple and bbq sauce. Cook over medium heat until hot. Serve in the buns.
Nutrition (per serving): 415 calories, 79% calories from carbohydrates, 16% calories from protein, 5% calories from fat, 15.7g fiber.