Sweet potato and apple cider combine in these Sweet Potato Pancakes to produce soft, fluffy pancakes with an almost creamy interior. Make sure you buy a good quality apple cider, not apple juice. We make our own cider, but in the off years when our old apple trees don’t produce, we buy from our local farms. Sample cider from different vendors. Each will taste different depending on the apples or blending of apples used. Ok, enough from my apple cider soap box. These pancakes are another favorite at our house. We eat them for a tasty fall breakfast or a Friday night pancake dinner.
- Dry Ingredients
- 4 cups - whole wheat flour pastry flour
- 4 tsp - baking powder
- 1 tsp - baking soda
- 2 tsp - salt
- Wet Ingredients
- 1/2 cup - mashed sweet potatoes
- 4 cups - apple cider
- If you are using a non-stick, electric griddle with a temperature control, preheat it to 375 °F. If you are using a non-stick skillet or non-stick, stove-top griddle, preheat it over medium heat.
- While the griddle or skillet is heating, combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well to thoroughly mix the ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the Wet Ingredients. Pour into the flour mixture and whisk together just until combined. The point is to not over-stir the mixture, which can result in tough pancakes. If a few wisps or tiny clumps of flour are still visible that's OK, they will cook out.
- Check the griddle or skillet to be sure it's properly heated and ready for the batter. Test by sprinkling a few drops of water on the surface. At the proper temperature the droplets will dance around. If the griddle is too hot the droplets will evaporate on contact, in which case you should reduce the heat, wait a few minutes and test again.
- Gently ladle a scant 1/2 cup of batter onto the hot surface, for each pancake.
- When bubbles form on the top of the pancake it is ready to flip. Using a spatula, flip each pancake and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve warm, plain or with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition (per serving): 287 calories, 88% calories from carbohydrates, 9% calories from protein, 4% calories from fat, 8.4g fiber.