Very Veggie Calzone is one of those recipes where, once you get the basic instructions, you can mix up the veggies and sauce flavors to any combination you like. The calzone dough is our 100% Whole Wheat Bread recipe with dried basil added, and without all the rise time. Just roll it, top it, and fold it. That’s how easy it is to make a calzone. I find that calzones are even better tasting than pizza. Since we don’t use cheese, or fake cheese products, the calzone keeps the moisture from the veggies and sauce inside, and doesn’t get dried out like cheese-less pizza can. I consider this a good dinner for any weeknight. The short time to put together a Very Veggie Calzone is good therapy after a hard work day. And the smell of freshly-baked bread, well, that’s good therapy anytime.
- Pizza Dough
- 1 recipe - 100% Whole Wheat Bread (see link below for recipe)
- 2 Tbs - dried basil
- Basil Pizza Sauce
- 2 15 oz cans - tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp - garlic powder
- 1 Tbs - turbinado sugar (adjust to taste)
- 8-10 medium - fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
- 1 8 oz pkg - mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 16 oz pkg - frozen pineapple chunks, thawed and finely chopped
- 1 16 oz pkg - frozen cauliflower florets, thawed and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Follow the recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Bread through step 1, except add the 2 Tbs dried basil to the flour mixture before adding the warm water. Roll out the dough on the parchment-lined baking sheet to fill the entire sheet. Set aside while you make the sauce and prepare the toppings.
- Mix together the Basil Pizza Sauce ingredients, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the mushrooms in a microwave-safe dish, about 3-4 minutes. Drain and pat dry with a paper towel. Pat dry the thawed pineapple and cauliflower. It's important that the toppings be patted dry to prevent a soggy crust.
- Spread the Toppings over half of the dough, lengthwise. Drizzle half of the Basil Pizza Sauce over the toppings. Fold the other half of the dough over the toppings and press the edges to seal.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Let cool for several minutes before cutting. Serve with the remaining Basil Pizza Sauce.
Nutrition (per serving): 483 calories, 82% calories from carbohydrates, 13% calories from protein, 5% calories from fat, 17.3g fiber.