The addition of pumpkin puree to this Quick Pumpkin Chili over Toast gives it a silky texture. Chili paste adds heat and unique flavor. So what makes this recipe quick? First, there’s no chopping of veggies. That’s always a plus on a busy day. Second, serve it simply over whole-grain toast, rather than cooking a pot of pasta or other grain. If you haven’t tried thick toast as a soft, chewy bed for chili, you’re in for a treat. Make sure it’s good bread, of course. We either have home made bread or a big loaf from our local farmers’ market on hand most days.
- 1 15 oz can - pumpkin puree
- 2 28 oz cans - diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans - kidney beans, undrained
- 1 tsp - dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp - dried oregano
- 1 tsp - chili powder
- 1/2 tsp - garlic powder
- 2 tsp - red chili paste (we used Huey Fong Sambal Oelek Chili Paste from Amazon.com)
- 1 pinch - ground cloves
- 1-2 Tbs - brown sugar (adjust to taste)
- 6 slices - thickly-sliced whole-grain bread
- Combine all the ingredients, except the bread, in a pot over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook another 15 minutes. Salt to taste.
- While the chili is cooking, toast the bread according to your tastes.
- To serve, ladle the chili over a slice of toast.
Some brands of chili paste contain oil or fish sauce, but the brand I listed in the ingredients is both vegan and oil-free. You can find it online at Amazon.com.
Nutrition (per serving): 369 calories, 79% calories from carbohydrates, 16% calories from protein, 5% calories from fat, 18.4g fiber.