Sweet potatoes and carrots are common items on holiday dinner tables in November and December. In this recipe for Holiday Roasted Carrots and Sweet Potatoes, we’ve brought them together and added a sweet and savory coating of brown sugar, sage, and thyme. The vegetables are first roasted at high heat to bring out their natural sweetness. Then, the sugar and herb mixture is added and allowed to steam with the vegetables so the vegetables become well-coated. It’s a colorful and fragrant dish that we think you’ll enjoy.
- 6 medium - carrots, scrubbed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium - sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbs - dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 tsp - ground sage
- 1/2 tsp - dried thyme
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Gather and prepare your ingredients.
- Place the carrots and sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheet, in a single layer. Bake for 1 hour, until the vegetables are fork-tender.
- Using a Mortar and Pestle, grind the sage and thyme together for a few seconds, until they are aromatic. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, use your hands to rub the spices together, or use an Electric Spice Grinder. Add the brown sugar and grind again for a few seconds to blend the sugar and the herbs together.
4. When the carrots and sweet potatoes are done baking, place them in a bowl. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over top and toss well to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, or a lid if the bowl has one, and allow to sit for 5 minutes. This will allow the steam from the vegetables to moisten the sugar mixture so it will cling to the vegetables. Stir again, salt to taste, and serve.
Nutrition (per serving): 114 calories, 93% calories from carbohydrates, 5% calories from protein, 2% calories from fat, 4.4g fiber.