Do you need a dish you can eat throughout the day at work? Kaleidoscope Rice Bowl is your solution! My friend, David, is a home physical therapist who spends his days either at patients’ homes or in his car traveling to the next one. He doesn’t have time to stop for lunch, and he’s a tall, trim, hungry guy who likes to eat often. David created this dish out of a need to have food handy whenever and wherever he was during his day. He takes this with him in a cooler in his car. Whenever he needs a shot of energy, he pops the lid and enjoys this nourishing and satisfying dish. Now, there’s no excuse not to eat healthy, even on the road.
- 1 14 oz pkg - instant brown rice (about 8 cups cooked rice)
- 1 28 oz can - whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15 oz can - great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can - black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ½ cups - broccoli florets, fresh or frozen, chopped
- 1 cup - golden raisins
- 1 cup - sliced almonds
- Cook the rice according to the package directions (but no butter, of course).
- While the rice is cooking, add the remaining ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the cooked rice and mix well to coat all the rice with the tomato juice. Salt to taste.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered bowl. This dish tastes great hot or cold.
- Try substituting kidney beans and garbanzo beans for the beans listed above, or try your favorite combination.
- Feel free to substitute other vegetables in place of the broccoli if you like. David suggests microwaving baby carrots, and cutting them into halves before adding to the dish.
Nutrition (per serving): 420 calories, 72% calories from carbohydrates, 12% calories from protein, 16% calories from fat, 11.5g fiber.