Pasta with Silky Tomato Walnut Sauce is another great use for those luscious, juicy, fresh, garden tomatoes. All you need to do is remove the stem and core. The whole tomato, skins and seeds included, then goes right into the food processor. The resulting creamy blend of tomatoes and walnuts is a mouth-watering combination.
- 1 cup - walnuts
- 2 lbs - tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbs - miso, mellow white
- 1 tsp - Italian seasoning blend
- 8-10 medium - fresh basil leaves
- 1 16 oz pkg - whole-grain penne pasta
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, blend the walnuts in a food processor until a very fine crumb, almost turning them into butter.
- With the food processor running, add the tomatoes one by one through the opening in the lid of the food processor. Add the miso and blend a few more seconds until mixture is smooth.
- Pour the tomato-walnut sauce into a large skillet over medium heat. Don't worry if the sauce looks pink. As it cooks, it will turn a beautiful orange. Stir in the Italian seasoning and basil leaves, and cook over medium heat about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Salt to taste.
- Stir the drained pasta into the tomato-walnut sauce and stir to coat.
Nutrition (per serving): 664 calories, 59% calories from carbohydrates, 12% calories from protein, 29% calories from fat, 17.5g fiber.