This Pasta with Creamy Basil Sauce is a great dish for special occasions or company, because it tastes like you worked on it all day, but you didn’t. So you’re not too tired to spend a lively evening with your guests. The all-important sauce goes together quickly with the help of a food processor and ready-made hummus – the secret ingredient. The sauce is something like a blending of pesto sauce (providing that sweet, basil flavor) and alfredo sauce (providing that rich, creamy mouthfeel). But it’s all plant-based, of course.
- 1 cup - pine nuts
- 1/3 cup - soy milk, plain and unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp - lemon juice
- 2/3 cup - fresh basil, loosely packed
- 1 8 oz pkg - hummus
- 1 16 oz pkg - whole-grain pasta, such as shell or chiocciole
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, blend the pine nuts in a food processor until they reach a fine crumb. Add the soy milk, basil, lemon juice, and hummus, and blend until smooth. Salt to taste.
- Drain the cooked pasta and toss with the creamy basil sauce.
Nutrition (per serving): 608 calories, 51% calories from carbohydrates, 12% calories from protein, 37% calories from fat, 13.1g fiber.