Have you found ready-made pizza dough, fresh or frozen, at your local grocery store? If you do, grab it and try this recipe for Mushroom Roll. It will go together so quickly with a ready-made pizza dough (not already baked, just the ready-to-roll dough). If your grocery store doesn’t carry a healthy, ready-to-use, dough – think whole-grain and no oil – fear not, a recipe for 100% whole-wheat pizza dough is provided below, and is easily made in a food processor.
- Mushroom filling
- 2 8 oz pkgs - mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 tsp - garlic powder
- 3 1/2 cups - whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp - instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp - salt
- 1 1/4 cups - warm water (110 °F - 120 °F)
- 1 Tbs - maple syrup
- 1 15 oz can - tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp - dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp - garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp - tamari soy sauce, reduced sodium
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pizza Dough: Add the flour, yeast, and salt to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the dough blade. Pulse once or twice to mix the dry ingredients. Combine the warm water and maple syrup, and with the processor running, slowly pour into the flour mixture. Continue processing until the dough forms a ball and leaves the sides of the bowl. Process another 30 seconds to knead the dough. Remove the dough from the bowl and place in an airtight container to rise for 40 minutes. Punch down the dough to remove air bubbles, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use, up to three days.
- Mushroom filling: In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the mushrooms and garlic powder, covered, until tender. The skillet lid will trap moisture from the cooking mushrooms and prevent sticking. When the mushrooms are almost tender, remove the lid and continue cooking until the remaining liquid evaporates - the mushrooms should be dry when rolled in the dough. Salt to taste.
- Sauce: Combine the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until hot. Salt to taste.
- Assemble and Bake: Preheat the oven to 375 °F. Remove the dough from the plastic wrap, squeeze out any air bubbles, and roll it into a rectangle about 1/4" thick. Spread the mushroom filling over the dough, roll it up, pinch the ends to seal in the filling, and place on the baking sheet seam-side down. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve with the sauce.
- The mushroom filling, the dough, and the sauce can all be made up to three days ahead and refrigerated. Place the dough in a large bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. Store the mushroom filling, and the sauce, in separate airtight containers.
Nutrition (per serving): 466 calories, 81% calories from carbohydrates, 15% calories from protein, 4% calories from fat, 17.4g fiber.