Creamed Peas and Carrots over Baked Potatoes is so yummy and comforting it should be in every school cafeteria in America. We think children would learn to love their veggies if they got to eat this dish often. And it’s simple to make. You can cook the creamed peas and carrots while the potatoes are baking. Or, use your microwave to cook the potatoes and the whole meal will be ready in less than 30 minutes. Use whichever potatoes you like. We’ve enjoyed this dish with Russet, Red-Skinned, and Yukon Gold potatoes.
- 4 large - russet potatoes
- 2 16 oz pkgs - frozen peas and carrots
- 1 Tbs - dried rosemary
- 2 cups - soy milk, plain and unsweetened
- 2 Tbs - cornstarch
- 1 tsp - fresh mint, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prick the skins of the potatoes a few times with a fork. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and bake until a fork easily pierces through the potato (about 1 hour).
- Meanwhile, stir together the peas and carrots, rosemary, and soy milk in a large pot over medium heat. Cover and cook until hot.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 Tbs of soy milk from the pot. Stir back into the pot. Stir in the mint and cook until the mixture is thick and bubbly, about 3-5 minutes. Salt to taste.
- To serve, slice open a potato and ladle a large scoop of the creamed peas and carrots on top.
Nutrition (per serving): 475 calories, 82% calories from carbohydrates, 13% calories from protein, 5% calories from fat, 13.7g fiber.