Bulgur is a great ingredient for making veggie burgers. It is a small grain whose tiny size helps the burgers hold together. It has a chewy texture that is pleasing to the burger palate. These Bulgur Burgers (try saying that three times fast) have a simple flavor that will go with just about any of your favorite toppings. I find myself gravitating to this burger quite frequently in the summer – it seems perfectly suited to tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumbers from the garden.
- 1 8 oz pkg - frozen, chopped, onion and green bell pepper blend
- 3 cups - cooked bulgur
- 1/2 cup - refried beans, fat-free and vegan
- 2 tsp - prepared yellow mustard (or mustard of your choice)
- 5 - whole-grain burger buns
- Preheat the oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sauté the onion-pepper mix in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until the onions are translucent. Stir in the bulgur. Mix in the refried beans and mustard, until well combined.
- Using a 1/2-cup measure, shape the mixture into 5 patties. Place on the baking sheet and broil for 4 minutes. Gently turn the patties over and broil another 3 minutes.
- Serve on buns with the toppings of your choice.
Nutrition (per serving): 282 calories, 79% calories from carbohydrates, 18% calories from protein, 3% calories from fat, 12.5g fiber.