Try this activity tomorrow morning: Plug your smart phone into its charger, walk away, and start your day. Sound difficult? Do you find it hard to function without it? I sure do – and it’s not the ability to make calls or send text messages that I miss. It’s the apps that I can’t do without. It’s all about the apps. I check the forecast with The Weather Channel app, look in on the news using the USA Today app, and see what’s on tap for the day with the Calendar app. You have your usual morning routine, too, I bet. What are your “must-have” apps?
Besides the usual suspects that you and I use for news and information, here are some others that I find particularly helpful for living the vegan lifestyle.
- When you travel for work or pleasure, Yelp can help you locate vegan-friendly restaurants and grocery stores. The app includes ratings and reviews, links to menus, and uploaded pictures – all to help you make better choices when eating out.
- Quick Tip: Take the time to rate the places you like and don’t like. It’s a great service to your fellow vegans. Even in your hometown, positive ratings and reviews help to keep your favorite spots “on the map” so that they stay in business – and keep serving all that good food you know and love.
- This shopping list app is one I use many times every day. Since I have my phone with me almost everywhere, I can be shaving in the bathroom, notice that I’m using my last razor blade, and add it to my shopping list right then and there.
- Favorite Feature: Cloud-based syncing. Caroline and I can be in different locations, and we can each add items to the same shopping list for just-in-time purchasing.
- We take a lot of pictures with our phones, and maybe you do, too. Camera+ makes you a better photographer with almost no effort. Caroline especially likes the “stabilizer” that helps prevent those blurry shots that you can get in low-light situations.
- Geek-out, Vegan-style: Take pictures of a restaurant meal to help you remember what it looked so you can create your own version at home. Even at home, many’s the time that Caroline has set down a plate of fabulous food right in front of me – warm, wonderful smells wafting up to my nose, and said, “DON’T EAT THAT! I have to take a picture!!!”
- This app provides free mobile access to a world of speakers and videos that are truly remarkable. The speakers are big thinkers, thought leaders, who have incredibly interesting things to say about important issues – and they do an excellent job of saying them. Health and nutrition gurus like Dr. John McDougall and Dr. Neal Barnard, have delivered TED talk.
- Coolness Factor: TED talks provoke thinking about the future and the world we live in – and that’s a big deal. And when you turn someone else onto TED, your coolness stock goes way up.
Apps. Making life better for vegans one tap at a time.