Do you love one-pot meals? Do you love the flavors of Mexico? Then you have every reason to love this Thick and Creamy Taco Soup. And there’s no chopping ingredients either. All you need is a soup pot and a can opener, and in less than 30 minutes you’ll have a hearty meal on the table.
Select whole grain orzo pasta that is 100% whole grain, not a blend of whole grain and processed grain. You should be able to find this at your grocery store. We often purchase DeLallo brand. Do you have a favorite brand of whole grain orzo pasta?
- 1 12 oz pkg - frozen blend of corn, black beans, chopped onions, and chopped peppers (southwest blend)
- 1 15 oz can - pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup - fat-free refried beans
- 1 15 oz can - tomato sauce
- 1-2 tsp - taco seasoning (adjust to your taste)
- 6 cups - water
- 1 16 oz pkg - whole wheat orzo pasta
- Dry saute the onion-pepper blend in a soup pot over medium heat until tender, about 3-5 minutes. If needed, add a tablespoon or two of water to prevent sticking.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients, cover, and cook until the pasta is just tender, about 10-15 minutes, Salt to taste.
Nutrition (per serving): 532 calories, 78% calories from carbohydrates, 15% calories from protein, 7% calories from fat, 11.4g fiber.