These beautiful appetizers will be the hit of your next party. Little bundles of joy wrap up traditional Thai flavors into small, but powerfully flavored, bites. Once you get the hang of how to wet the spring roll wrappers, you’ll be rolling these like a pro. These are also a good use of fresh basil and cilantro from the summer garden.
- Fresh Spring Rolls
- 16 - spring roll wrappers (we use Blue Dragon brand)
- 32 medium - fresh basil leaves
- 1 14 oz pkg - tofu, water-packed, super-firm, drained, and pressed
- 8 oz - thin rice noodles, cooked and drained (we use Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1/2 cups - fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 medium - carrot, peeled into very thin strips
- Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup - Thai sweet chili sauce (we use A Taste of Thai brand)
- 2 Tbs - natural, crunchy, peanut butter (we use Krema brand)
- Cut the tofu in half heightwise, then cut each half into 8 sticks.
- Rinse each spring roll wrapper with water, making sure to completely wet both sides. Place the wrapper on a clean work surface, such as a cutting board. On the bottom half of the wrapper, place two basil leaves, then layer with one tofu stick, a little of the cooked noodles, a few cilantro leaves, and a few of the carrot peelings. Roll up, tucking in the sides of the wrapper as you go, as you would roll a tortilla.
- To make the Dipping Sauce, whisk together the sweet chili sauce and peanut butter. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, slice each Fresh Spring Roll in half, and serve with the Dipping Sauce.
A vegetable peeler makes it easy to create the thin strips of carrot. Peel off the outer layer of the carrot as usual, then just keep peeling to create the thin strips.
Nutrition (per serving): 280 calories, 73% calories from carbohydrates, 12% calories from protein, 15% calories from fat, 1.7g fiber.