Sweet Potato and Chickpea Stew ranks up there as one of our all-time favorites. It’s so comforting on a chilly day. And it’s even better the next day for lunch. That’s why this recipe is scaled to make a lot, so you can enjoy it for several days, or freeze leftovers for another time. Many thanks to Mary McDougall, head chef and all-around extraordinary person, from the Dr. McDougall program, for the inspiration for this dish.
- 2 cups - dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans), uncooked
- 10 cups - water
- 3 medium - Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped
- 2 medium - sweet potatoes, chopped
- 3 medium - carrots, chopped
- 1 medium - celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium - leek, bulb and lower leaf portion, chopped
- 2 Tbs - tamari soy sauce, reduced sodium
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on High for 6-8 hours or on Low for 8-10 hours. Salt to taste.
Nutrition (per serving): 266 calories, 73% calories from carbohydrates, 17% calories from protein, 10% calories from fat, 12.1g fiber.