This is my favorite way to enjoy Mujaddara – a Lebanese specialty combining lentils and rice. The bright flavor of lemon and the refreshing flavors of tomatoes and cucumbers go so well with this simple, comfort food. This is like a main dish and a side salad combined into one satisfying summer meal.
- 2 cups - dried brown lentils, uncooked, rinsed
- 2 cups - brown rice, uncooked
- 8 cups - water
- 1/2 tsp - ground cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp - ground cinnamon
- Tomato-Cucumber Salad Topping
- 4 medium - tomatoes, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 medium - cucumber, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 Tbs - dried oregano
- 1/2 cup - chopped fresh lemon balm (optional)
- 2 medium - lemons, juiced
- Combine the lentils, rice, water, cumin, and cinnamon in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the lentils and rice are tender, about 40 minutes. Salt to taste.
- While the lentil and rice mixture is cooking, make the Tomato-Cucumber Salad Topping by combining the tomatoes, cucumbers, oregano, lemon balm (if using), and the juice from the 2 lemons. Salt to taste.
- To serve, plate the lentil mixture and top with a heaping helping of the tomato-cucumber salad.
Nutrition (per serving): 499 calories, 77% calories from carbohydrates, 18% calories from protein, 5% calories from fat, 26.4g fiber.