If all you know of potato soup is that it usually comes blended with milk and cheese, get ready to appreciate the down-home comfort of this Slow-Cooker German Potato Soup. There’s no cheese or milk to hide the soul-satisfying goodness of the potatoes in this soup, and cabbage provides a soothing backdrop.
- 1 lb - potatoes, chopped
- 4 cups - water
- 1 medium - onion, chopped
- 4 medium - carrots, chopped
- 3 cups - chopped green cabbage
- 2 medium - dried bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp - freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp - caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup - chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp - liquid smoke
- In a slow cooker, combine all of the ingredients except the fresh parsley and liquid smoke.
- Cover, and cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in the parsley and liquid smoke. Salt to taste.
This is a very low calorie soup so consider serving it as part of a soup & sandwich combination, or eat the whole thing yourself.
Nutrition (per serving): 115 calories, 89% calories from carbohydrates, 8% calories from protein, 3% calories from fat, 5.9g fiber.