Refried beans are an easy spread for a sandwich. We have a recipe for the most delicious home-cooked Refried Beans – Slow Cooker Style in The Monthly Dish section of the website. But if canned refried beans suit you, slather some on your favorite sandwich bread and top with veggies. Easy peasy.
- 1/2 16 oz can - refried beans, fat-free and vegan variety
- 2 medium - tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium - cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup - fresh spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup - fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 8 slices - whole-grain bread (we use Food For Life 7 Sprouted Grains Bread)
- Toast the bread.
- To assemble each sandwich, spread some of the refried beans on a slice of bread. Top with sliced tomato, spinach, cucumber, and cilantro, if using. Top with another slice of toasted bread, and dig in!
Nutrition (per serving): 224 calories, 75% calories from carbohydrates, 20% calories from protein, 5% calories from fat, 9.8g fiber.