If you’re looking for a dessert with simple elegance, this is it. Poached Pears with Chocolate Sauce is a sweet, light finish to a fine meal. Poach the pears early in the day or the night before so the pears have time to chill in the refrigerator. The Simple Chocolate Sauce can be put together right before serving. For a garnish, try a couple of mint leaves, or a sprinkling of a few chopped nuts. Serve this dessert with a spoon. The poached pears will be so soft, you won’t need a knife or fork.
- 4 medium - pears, unpeeled
- 2 cups - water
- 1 cup - white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/4 cup - agave nectar
- 1/2 recipe - Simple Chocolate Sauce
- Slice a thin piece off the bottom of each pear so that it will stand upright. Place each pear in a small sauce pan. They don't have to all stand up, they just have to fit in the pan. Stir together the water, wine, and agave nectar and pour over the pears.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 25 minutes until the pears are fork tender.
- Transfer the pears and the liquid to a covered dish. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Make the Simple Chocolate Sauce according to the recipe. This can be right before serving, or made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve. Warm the sauce before serving.
- To serve, spoon a little of the Simple Chocolate Sauce in the bottom of a dessert dish. Place a chilled pear, standing upright, on the sauce. Drizzle a little more chocolate sauce over the pear.
Nutrition (per serving): 392 calories, 62% calories from carbohydrates, 3% calories from protein, 24% calories from fat, 7.7g fiber.