A light hand with the spices, and using whole tomatoes instead of tomato sauce, gives this a lighter flavor than many chili dishes. Ladled over whole wheat pasta, this is a filling meal, yet quick enough to put together on almost any busy day. You might be wondering why the tomatoes pictured here are not red? Those are some of the yellow heirloom tomatoes from the Garden Dish gardens. They are an heirloom variety called Moonglow. They make attractive tomato-based dishes with their bright yellow-orange burst of color. Of course, you should use your favorite tomatoes in this dish.
- 2 28 oz cans - whole tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans - kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp - dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp - dried oregano
- 1 tsp - chili powder
- 1/2 tsp - garlic powder
- 1 16 oz pkg - whole wheat pasta, any shape
- Combine all ingredients except the pasta, in a pot over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook another 15 minutes. Salt to taste.
- While the chili is cooking, cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- To serve, ladle chili over pasta.
Nutrition (per serving): 298 calories, 79% calories from carbohydrates, 15% calories from protein, 6% calories from fat, 10.5g fiber.