Lasagna with arugala is Lasugala. Get it? There are so many variations one can make on the lasagna theme that we thought this one needed its own name. This recipe won’t leave you feeling stuffed like traditional lasagna can. It is light and flavorful. You’ll probably want seconds. A side salad is the perfect accompaniment. Yum.
- Creamy Filling
- 1 14 oz pkg - tofu, water-packed, firm or extra-firm, drained, and crumbled
- 1/2 tsp - garlic powder
- 2 Tbs - white miso
- 2 Tbs - lemon juice
- 1/4 cup - nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 cups - fresh arugula, loosely packed
- Lasagna Noodles
- 1 8oz package - whole wheat, no-boil (oven ready) lasagna noodles
- Red Sauce
- 1 medium - red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves - garlic, minced
- 1 8 oz pkg - mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 15 oz cans - diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbs - dried oregano
- 1 Tbs - tamari soy sauce
- 1 Tbs - turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- To make the Red Sauce, begin by sauteing the onion, garlic, and mushrooms in a large skillet over medium heat until tender. Add a little water as needed to prevent sticking. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, combine the creamy filling ingredients, except the arugula, in a bowl. Set aside.
- When the Red Sauce is ready, spread one cup of it on the bottom of a 9"x13" baking pan. Cover with 6 of the lasagna noodles, overlapping them a little. Then top with half the creamy filling, half the arugula, and half of the remaining sauce. Repeat with another layer, ending with the Red Sauce on top.
- Cover with parchment paper then aluminum foil, and bake for 50 minutes until hot throughout and the pasta is tender.
Nutrition (per serving): 296 calories, 63% calories from carbohydrates, 22% calories from protein, 14% calories from fat, 8.4g fiber.