This is our version of a favorite dish from a favorite restaurant near Garden Dish headquarters. The colors are so attractive – an appetizing yellow in the grains, with splashes of green, orange, and dark red from the vegetables and beans. The seasoning pairs well with fruit such as mandarin oranges and bananas as shown here as a side dish.
- 2 cups - brown rice, such as jasmine, rinsed
- 4 cups - water
- 2 cloves - garlic, peeled and left whole
- 2 tsp - ground cumin
- 2 cups - frozen peas and carrots, partially thawed
- 1 15oz can (about 1 2/3 cups cooked beans) - kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Add the rinsed rice to a medium pot over medium-high heat. Stir continuously for 3 minutes to evaporate the water and toast the rice slightly.
- Stir in the water, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, and turmeric. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for about 30 minutes, until the rice is tender. Stir in the peas and carrots, and kidney beans. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes to warm the vegetables. Salt to taste.
Nutrition (per serving): 441 calories, 79% calories from carbohydrates, 14% calories from protein, 8% calories from fat, 12.1g fiber.