These are fun, filling sandwiches. And if you have tomatoes and cucumbers coming from your garden, feel free to load up with more of those in these rolls. Toasting in the oven gives the pitas extra flavor. Just don’t do what I did the first time I made these and leave them under the broiler too long. Have you ever seen flaming pitas? Nuff said.
- 4 large - whole-wheat pitas
- 1/2 recipe - Tabouli (see link below for recipe)
- 1 medium - heart of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup - No-oil Hummus (see link below for recipe)
- Preheat the oven to broil. Position the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Follow the instructions to make the Tabouli and the No-Oil Hummus.
- Spread about 1/4-cup of the No-Oil-Hummus in the middle of each pita. Top with tabouli and chopped lettuce. Add additional sliced tomatoes and cucumbers if desired. Roll up, lay seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat for the remaining pitas.
- Broil the rolled pitas for about 30 seconds, just long enough to toast them but not long enough to ignite them!
Although these pita rolls only use half the recipe for Tabouli, I usually make the entire Tabouli recipe and enjoy the leftovers throughout the week.
Nutrition (per serving): 309 calories, 73% calories from carbohydrates, 15% calories from protein, 12% calories from fat, 10.9g fiber.