Sweet Potato and Gnocchi Soup is another delicious way to celebrate the arrival of cool weather. Sweet potatoes become more prevalent in our recipes as fall begins. They’ve always seemed like a natural ingredient in my family’s fall and winter recipes.
Sweet potatoes, cooked and pureed into a broth, create a beautiful, silky-smooth texture. They add sweetness, color, and of course, loads of nutrients. In this Sweet Potato and Gnocchi Soup, that lovely backdrop highlights the chewy, whole grain gnocchi dumplings, and hearty garbanzo beans. The result is a soup that is very low in fat, and very high in nutrition. It’s a lovely way to welcome a new season. Enjoy!
- 1 16 oz pkg - whole wheat potato gnocchi
- 1 medium - red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium - celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium - garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 2 tsp - dried herbes de Provence
- 2 lbs - cooked and peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 15 oz can - garbanzo beans, with the liquid (do not drain)
- 5 cups - water
- Cook the gnocchi according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a soup pot over medium heat, dry sauté the red pepper, celery, garlic, and herbes de Provence, until the celery is tender, about 5 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the sweet potatoes with 1 cup of the water until smooth. Stir into the soup pot with the vegetables, and add the remaining 4 cups of water.
- Stir in the garbanzo beans (with the liquid) and the cooked gnocchi. Cook for 5 minutes. Salt to taste.
Nutrition (per serving): 488 calories, 86% calories from carbohydrates, 12% calories from protein, 2% calories from fat, 14.9g fiber.