Pasta and beans is classic Italian comfort food. Slow Cooker Pasta and Bean Soup is our whole, plant-based interpretation of the classic Italian dish, Pasta Fagioli. You won’t miss the meat or cheese, as the flavors here are rich and spicy after being cooked for hours in a slow cooker. We’ve scaled this recipe to make a lot because it’s easy to make a lot with the slow cooker, and it’s so, so good we like to have batches in the freezer, ready for another day. A steaming bowl of this thick, aromatic offering will put a smile on your guests faces too. With plenty to freeze for another day, we also suggest putting some in the refrigerator to enjoy as tomorrow’s leftovers. It thickens, as shown in the picture below, and is even more delicious. Hard to believe, we know.
We keep a stock of Eden Organic Kamut Ditalini, 100% Whole Grain in our pantry because whole grain ditalini is still hard to find in our area. Your local natural foods store may carry it too. If you find a whole grain ditalini without the adding shipping costs of ordering it online, please add a comment below.
Pasta and beans – a classic comfort food combination. This recipe makes a lot of soup, and for good reason. The slow cooker makes it so easy you may as well make a big batch. Leftovers are thick and delicious, and you can freeze some for the next busy day.
- 1 16 oz pkg - dried navy beans
- 1 medium - onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium - celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium cloves - garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs - dried oregano
- 1 28 oz can - diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans - tomato sauce
- 7 cups - water
- 2 cups - whole grain ditalini or other small pasta
- 1/4 cup - finely chopped fresh parsley
- Add all the ingredients, except the pasta and parsley, to your slow cooker. Give it a few stirs, then cook on High for 6 hours, until beans are fully cooked but slightly firm to chew. Stir in the pasta, cover, and cook on High another 15-20 minutes, until the pasta is al dente. Salt to taste.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of the chopped parsley and serve.
Nutrition (per serving): 502 calories, 76% calories from carbohydrates, 19% calories from protein, 5% calories from fat, 28.8g fiber.