Inspiration for a new recipe can come from just about anywhere. The idea for these Salsa Burgers came from shelves and shelves of fresh mango salsa stacked up at the local grocery store. You may be surprised at what comes to mind as you look around your grocery store or farmers markets . Take that idea and spend some time experimenting in your kitchen. Have fun, note what works, and what you’d like to change next time. And enjoy the results.
- 1 15 oz can - pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can - black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup - rolled oats (regular, not instant)
- 1 cup - corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups - fresh mango salsa or your favorite salsa
- 5 - whole-grain sandwich buns
- Mash together the beans. Stir in the oats, corn, and 1/4 cup of the salsa. Form the mixture into patties or hot dog shapes. Cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown on each side, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve each burger in a bun and top with more salsa.
Nutrition (per serving): 404 calories, 74% calories from carbohydrates, 19% calories from protein, 8% calories from fat, 15.9g fiber.