We serve this Pasta with Velvety Walnut Mushroom Sauce at parties, and guests go wild for it. For an extra pretty showing for special occasions, pair this wonderful sauce with an orange-red pasta – the kind flavored with vegetables such as tomato, carrot, or squash. Your guests will ooh and ahh. I like to serve this dish with a large salad. It looks extra pretty on the plate, and it keeps me from eating all the pasta myself!
- 1/2 medium - onion, chopped
- 1 8 oz pkg - sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups - walnuts
- 1 cup - soy milk, plain and unsweetened
- 2 Tbs - white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 cup - spaghetti sauce
- 1 16 oz pkg - whole-grain penne pasta
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, combine the onion and mushrooms in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cover, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, blend the walnuts until they are very finely chopped, almost the consistency of nut butter. Add the soy milk and white wine and process until smooth.
- Stir the walnut sauce and the spaghetti sauce into the mushroom mixture and cook over medium heat until hot. Salt to taste. Serve over drained pasta.
Nutrition (per serving): 549 calories, 48% calories from carbohydrates, 12% calories from protein, 39% calories from fat, 12.5g fiber.