Margaret is the mother-in-law of one of our Garden Dish team members, and she’s a wonderful cook. She makes this bean soup, and other vegan goodies, when her vegan son and daughter-in-law visit. Isn’t that nice of her? So in honor of mom’s everywhere like Margaret, we’re sharing this recipe. This dish has almost 20 g of fiber in each serving, yet is low in calories. You may like some good, whole-grain bread, rolls, or English muffins to serve on the side. You’ll likely be full and satisfied for hours.
- 7 medium - celery stalks, chopped
- 7 medium - carrots, chopped
- 1 cup - water
- 2 15 oz cans - stewed tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans - navy beans, drained and rinsed
- Dry saute the celery and carrots in a large pot over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water if needed to prevent sticking. Stir in the water, stewed tomatoes, and beans. Cover and cook until all the vegetables are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Salt to taste.
Nutrition (per serving): 306 calories, 77% calories from carbohydrates, 22% calories from protein, 1% calories from fat, 19.7g fiber.