One of the early taste-testers of this Lima Bean Soup described it as “a home run!” Even her teenage boys gave it the thumbs up. First, a word to anyone who is not a fan of lima beans. Don’t worry, this recipe starts with dried lima beans, which, when cooked, tasted nothing like the green (fresh) limas your grandmother made you eat. This soup melts in your mouth and has a rich flavor that really satisfies. We often serve it with whole-grain bread. And try adding corn to the soup shortly before serving. We’ve had several reports of others who’ve done so and thought it was a grand-slam!
- 1 16 oz pkg - dried large Lima beans, rinsed
- 10 cups - water
- 1/2 medium - onion, chopped
- 1 medium - garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp - smoked paprika
- 2 cups - fresh arugula, loosely packed
- In a slow cooker, combine the beans, onion, garlic, and water. Cover and cook on High for 4-6 hours or on Low for 6-8 hours.
- About 5 minutes before serving, stir in the arugula and smoked paprika. Salt to taste.
Nutrition (per serving): 317 calories, 76% calories from carbohydrates, 24% calories from protein, <1% calories from fat, 16.9g fiber.