No fast-food breakfast sandwich can compare to the vitality and nutrition in these Good Morning Breakfast Sandwiches. When summer is in full swing, and our favorite Kellogg’s Breakfast Tomatoes are coming in fresh from our garden – oh my – it’s a sandwich made in heaven. Go ahead, have two!
This dish is another reason to bake a big batch of potatoes early in the week. Just pull the already-baked potatoes from your fridge, chop, and you’re ready to start breakfast.
The calories in these sandwiches are equally divided between the bread and the filling. If you’re looking to cut out more calories, enjoy these open-faced. You’ll reduce the calories by about 80 per sandwich, but you’ll lose some of the fiber too (about 3 g). Grains are great sources of fiber.
Makes: 8 sandwiches
- 2 16 oz pkgs - cauliflower florets, fresh or frozen
- 4 medium - baked potatoes
- 1 14 oz pkg - tofu, water-packed, firm or extra-firm, drained, and crumbled
- 1/2 tsp - ground turmeric
- 1 tsp - your favorite seasoning blend (we've been using Mrs Dash Original Blend)
- 8 - whole-grain English muffins (such as Food For Life® brand)
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, saute the cauliflower, potatoes, and tofu, covered, until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the turmeric and seasoning. Using a potato masher, mash the mixture to your desired consistency. Salt to taste.
- To serve, spoon some of the filling onto an English muffin and dig in!
Nutrition (per serving): 329 calories, 68% calories from carbohydrates, 19% calories from protein, 13% calories from fat, 10.1g fiber.