Garden Herb Potato Salad for a Crowd was created especially for big, summer picnics. We’ve fed as many as 24 people with this large batch of creamy potato salad. It’s been a hit at family picnics, work-sponsored barbecues, and tailgate gatherings at major league baseball games. It’s been raved about without us telling anyone that the dressing is based on tofu. Our idea of a perfect plate of summer picnic food is Garden Herb Potato Salad for a Crowd and Slow-Cooker Baked Beans. Cool and creamy meets hot and spicy. Drool, drool.
You’ll note one of the ingredients in the dressing is fresh lemon balm. If you don’t have it, don’t worry, you can leave it out. We use it because it grows in the Garden Dish edible gardens, and we’re always looking for more culinary uses for it. It’s also one of those herbs that will take over your garden – ask us how we know. It’s a beautiful, healthy plant, with a light lemon aroma. We recommend it for any herb garden, as long as you dig some up every year and pass it off to friends. It’s a nice addition to this salad if you have it.
Try combinations of your favorite herbs and when you find a combination you love, write it down. Then you can call this your signature potato salad.
Garden Herb Potato Salad for a Crowd
- 6 lbs - red potatoes, washed and chopped into small, uniform pieces
- 2 12 oz pkgs - silken tofu, soft
- 1/2 cup - rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup - stone ground mustard
- 1/4 cup - dill weed, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup - basil leaves
- 1 sprig - lemon balm (optional)
- 1 sprig - fresh parsley
- 3 stalks - celery, chopped
- 1 medium - red pepper, diced, for garnish
- Steam or boil the potatoes until fork-tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain and transfer to very large bowl or roasting pan to cool for 1-2 hours.
- In a food processor, blend the tofu, vinegar, mustard, and herbs until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- At least 1 hour before serving, gently toss together the potatoes, tofu dressing, and celery until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with chopped red pepper.
Nutrition (per serving): 119 calories, 81% calories from carbohydrates, 12% calories from protein, 8% calories from fat, 2.1g fiber.