If you’re looking for a quick taco that’s different from the ubiquitous mix of refried beans, lettuce, and salsa, try these Easy Tofu Tacos. The tofu gives the filling a light, creamy texture. And remember to look for whole grain tortillas or corn tortillas (which are made from the whole corn kernel). The folks at Food For Life offer several varieties of whole grain tortillas, which you’ll find in the freezer section of your grocery store.
Notice that the % of calories from fat in this dish is about 27%. That’s a little high for our standards, which we like to keep close to 15% or less. Some of that fat comes from the guacamole, which is made from fat-rich avocado, and some comes from the tofu, which is made from fat-rich soybeans. But if you leave out the guacamole, you can drop the percent of calories from fat to 16%, mainly from the tofu. So, enjoy this dish with or without the guacamole, depending on your diet goals.
- 2 12 oz pkgs - frozen blend of corn, black beans, chopped onions, and chopped peppers (southwest blend)
- 2 12 oz pkgs - tofu, water-packed, firm or extra-firm, drained, and crumbled
- 16 - white corn tortillas
- 1 tsp - taco seasoning (we used Mrs Dash Fiesta Lime)
- 1 cup - prepared guacamole (we used Sabra Classic Guacamole)
- In a large, non-stick skillet, saute the southwest vegetable blend and the tofu until the vegetables are tender.
- Soften a few tortillas at a time in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds. Fill a tortilla with some of the tofu mixture and a tablespoon of guacamole.
Nutrition (per serving): 629 calories, 49% calories from carbohydrates, 24% calories from protein, 27% calories from fat, 15.2g fiber.