Creamy Spinach Frittata is terrific all by itself or as a sandwich filler. By definition, a frittata is like a crustless quiche. It’s a warm, creamy, and savory dish traditionally made from eggs. This version is also warm, creamy, and savory, but it’s made from tofu. We’ve punched it up with spinach, carrots, onions, garlic, and bell pepper. But you can substitute other vegetables if you prefer. Experiment to find combinations that you enjoy. To simplify the cooking process, replace the fresh vegetables with a bag of your favorite frozen vegetables. There are so many different combinations available these days, and you can find them already chopped, making this recipe a snap.
- Frittata Base
- 2 14 oz pkgs - tofu, water-packed, firm or extra-firm, drained, and crumbled
- 2/3 cup - soy milk, plain and unsweetened
- 1 tsp - ground turmeric
- 2 tsp - dried rosemary
- Add-In Vegetables
- 1/2 medium - yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves - garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 medium - green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium - carrots, shredded
- 2 cups - fresh spinach leaves, packed
- 1/4 tsp - ground black pepper (a few cranks of a pepper mill)
- 1/4 tsp - ground paprika
- 4 slices - whole grain bread, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Position an oven rack in the middle position. Line a 9" pie dish with parchment paper.
- Combine the tofu, soy milk, and turmeric in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Stir in the rosemary and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion, garlic, pepper, and carrots in 1/4 cup of water or vegetable broth until tender and all liquid is evaporated. Add the spinach, cover, and cook just until the spinach wilts (2-3 minutes).
- Stir in the tofu blend. Salt to taste.
- Pour into the prepared dish, sprinkle with the paprika, and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on top. Or, if your sauté pan is oven-safe, you can skip the pie pan and place the sauté pan directly into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool for a few minutes then cut into four pieces and serve each piece on toast.
Nutrition (per serving): 320 calories, 34% calories from carbohydrates, 33% calories from protein, 33% calories from fat, 8.4g fiber.