Looking for a delicious breakfast roll or a perfect afternoon treat to enjoy with your favorite cup of coffee or tea? These sweet rolls are filled with a creamy blend of bananas and cinnamon, and without butter and oil they are healthy and guilt-free.
- 4 cups - whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup - brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 Tbs - instant (rapid rise) yeast
- 1 tsp - salt
- 1 1/2 cups - warm water (110 °F - 120 °F)
- Banana-Cinnamon Filling
- 3 medium - very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup - turbinado sugar
- 1/2 tsp - ground cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, yeast, and salt. Pour in the warm water, and using either your hands or a wooden spoon, stir until all the water is absorbed. You should have a mixture of dough and some some flour left over in the bowl. Dump the mixture onto your work surface and knead for several minutes, until the rest of the flour is incorporated, and the dough forms a smooth, elastic ball.
- Place the dough in a bowl lined with parchment paper or dusted with a little flour. This will keep the dough from sticking to the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, or a lid, to seal in the warmth. Set aside in a warm, draft-free location, and allow to double in size (about 45 minutes).
- While the dough is rising, mash together the bananas, sugar, and cinnamon. Cover and set aside.
- When the dough is doubled in size, remove it from the bowl and knead a few times to press out the air. On a work surface dusted lightly with flour, roll out the dough into a rectangle, about 16"x10", roughly 1/2" thick. Spread the banana filling evenly over the dough. Starting with the long side of the rectangle, roll the dough into a log shape. If some of the filling oozes out, just scoop it up and poke it into the rolls once they are in the pan. Slice the roll into16 equal pieces and place them in a 13"x9" baking pan lined with parchment paper. Cover lightly with a clean kitchen towel and allow to the rolls to double in size (about 45 minutes).
- While the rolls are rising, preheat the oven to 375 °F. When the rolls are doubled in size, bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown.
Make Ahead Suggestions
After shaping and placing the rolls in the 13"x9" baking pan, cover them with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. They will rise slowly in the refrigerator and be ready for baking by morning. In the morning, remove the plastic wrap, preheat the oven, and bake. What a great morning this will be!
- Turbinado sugar is a less-processed form of cane sugar. If you don't have it on hand, feel free to use regular sugar or brown sugar in the banana-cinnamon filling.
- Variation: Pumpkin-Cinnamon Rolls: replace the banana-cinnamon filling with a mixture of 1 cup pumpkin puree, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice.
Nutrition (per serving): 169 calories, 87% calories from carbohydrates, 10% calories from protein, 3% calories from fat, 4.7g fiber.